Pep Guardiola, manager of Manchester City, has suggested that he may make lineup changes for Wednesday night’s Carabao Cup encounter against Chelsea.
In midweek, the League Cup returns for another season, marking City’s third straight home match across all competitions.
Under Pep Guardiola’s leadership, the current Premier League winners have won the league title for four straight seasons, from 2017/18 to 2020/21.
Guardiola may be able to rest certain starters in preparation for the last game of the domestic season before the World Cup by having Chelsea come to town.
On Saturday, Pep Guardiola and Manchester City host Brentford in the Premier League’s midday kickoff. This matchup may have an effect on the starting lineup for Wednesday’s game.
The Manchester City manager was asked about the status of his two England internationals, Kyle Walker and Kalvin Phillips, who were both injured and have been recuperating from surgery in recent weeks, after the club’s thrilling 2-1 triumph against Fulham on the weekend.
While discussing the two, Pep Guardiola said “They are doing much better now.
“Yesterday was Kalvin (Phillips)’ second day doing a full training session with contact with us, and he felt excellent,” the coach said.
Guardiola continued by saying that his defensive midfield purchase from the summer would return to the Manchester City team for Wednesday’s match against Graham Potter’s side.
He will start on the bench for the match against Chelsea “coach Catalan. In his continuing remarks, “I have no idea whether he will really play, but he will definitely be warming up on the bench. Kalvin is a vast improvement.”
Unfortunately for the London club, fullback Kyle Walker will be out for the next match due to his ongoing recovery.
The England right-back had groyne surgery after being hurt during the 6-3 Manchester derby triumph in the Premier League.
The manager stated, “I talked with Kyle (Walker) and he feels fine also, but his operation was later than Kalvin, that’s why I don’t know (when he will be available).”
As their fans surely know, the English national team’s primary objective is to be fully ready for the 2017 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Pep Guardiola of Manchester City said he had a personal conversation with England manager Gareth Southgate in recent days, but that he was unable to provide Southgate with an exact date for the return of either of his players.
Ten or twelve days ago, I had a conversation with Gareth Southgate, “As Guardiola put it: “Me and his assistant had coffee and a conversation about them (Kyle Walker and Kalvin Phillips); he had already spoken with the two of them and the doctors. I didn’t have an answer for him since I’m not a medical professional.”
The Norwegian striker Erling Haaland had his first taste of match action in quite some time against Fulham on Saturday, and he’ll be hoping to add to that on Wednesday night.
A second-half substitution, the 22-year-old eventually won the game for his team with a penalty kick after having an earlier goal disallowed for offside.
More manchester City latest news: Van Dijk said that he hopes Liverpool will get “unbelievable” player from Man City because he’s amazing
More manchester City latest news: UEFA Champions League Quarterfinal Opponents for Manchester City Are Officially Announced
More Manchester City latest news: Transfer Speculation on phenomenal Man City player as Fabrizio Romano confirms he may leave for Real Madrid